These 12 Best Watchdog Breeds are most suitable as watchdogs. We have chosen dogs in this list by their physical strength and temperament and also examined whether they are brave, loyal and obedient.
12. American Staffordshire Terrier
This dog was bred to take on bears and bulls. Many people are afraid of this dog breed while the owners just say it’s a perfect loyal dog. This dog is quite aggressive and good socialization of a Staffordshire at a young age is essential.
The Kuvasz is a very loyal and full of love to the members of the family. It keeps strangers at bay due its natural guarding instinct.
10. Rhodesian Ridgeback
A hunting dog, and, therefore, a smart dog. It is one of the best watchdog breeds that always stand up for the boss.
9. Giant Schnauzer
A big and strong dog. In addition, the Schnauzer gets very attached to his owners and will, therefore, do everything to protect and save them.
At first glance, the Puli might not look like an active breed, but it is opposite, these dogs are perfect shepherds. Not very aggressive, but very loyal to the master and quickly finds something suspicious, in addition, these dogs bark more often than other dogs. This makes them one of the best watchdog breeds.
Komondor is like the Puli but is more aggressive in nature, especially at the time when the boss is in danger.
6. German Shepherd
One of the most popular dog breeds in the world, and not without reason. These dogs have a tremendous love and protectiveness for their master. It is often used as a police dog.
The Boxer is a breed of medium to large-sized, short-haired dogs developed in Germany. Boxers have high energy levels, they are quite playful. They become excellent watchdogs for the family.
4. Great Dane
The Great Dane is a large German breed known for its muscular body and great height. In fact, Great Dane is one of the world’s tallest dog breeds. They are good natured and are great with children that make them excellent family watchdog. However, due to their large size, they require regular exercising.
One of the most intelligent dogs and also one of the bravest. When danger threatens they are very protective of the family. In addition, the Rottweiler is a super strong dog and aggressive.
2. Doberman Pinscher
In 1875, for the first time, they bred in Germany, a cross between a Rottweiler, Greyhound, and Terrier. Most Dobermans will not hesitate long to attack when there is a danger.
In our list of best watchdog breeds, bullmastiff is number one.This protection dog is a cross between the Bulldog (40%) and the Mastiff (60%). Loyal, brave and very protective of the family. These dogs have their own way to deal with intruders, they run them down and keep them pressed to the ground, or they will simply stand out in the way to guard.
More Best Watchdog Breeds
Here are a few more dogs in this list of best watchdogs.
- Kangal: Originated from the mountain areas. It can also be a good watchdog. Not super sharp in action, but Kangal is fearless and not afraid of anything.
- Rhodesian ridgeback: A dog that is brave and known as an African lion.
- Dogo Canario: A mastiff dog from the Canary Islands. Fearless and a large dog that always protect the owner.
- Caucasian Shepherd: It is somewhat same as the Kangal but sharper and quicker.
- Neapolitan Mastiff: A very strong and sharp dog that is a good watchdog. It is a great protection dog due to its protective instincts and fearsome appearance.
- Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff): Fila is an extremely aggressive dog, very fearless and unforgiving. Due its high aggression, it has been banned in many countries.
- Boerboel: Boerboel was bred in South Africa for the purpose of guarding homes. Boerboel is an intelligent and energetic breed. They are loyal, great with kids and tend to be protective of their family and territory.