Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins has the softness of a doughnut in the shape of a muffin, covered with crispy cinnamon sugar these muffins are fluffy inside. Must check out the recipe.
These cinnamon sugar doughnut muffins are soft, fluffy and the crumb is amazing. They have the texture of a muffin with the taste of an old-fashioned cake doughnut.
What is a doughnut muffin?
It’s basically cake doughnut batter baked in a muffin pan. The warm muffin is then dipped in melted butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar. When you bite into it, it tastes just like a cinnamon sugar cake doughnut.
Why are doughnut muffins such a wonderful idea?
Most people never think of making doughnuts at home, yet make muffins frequently. Not everyone has a doughnut pan and it’s much easier to fill a muffin pan than it is to fill a doughnut pan.
Yield: 40-48 mini muffins or 20-24 regular size muffins
For the doughnuts:
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup whole milk (see note below, this is half of a 1 and 2/3 cups measurement)
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
For the topping:
- 8 Tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon